COVID-19 Updates & Information
Welcome! Please refer to the following resources and links that will help navigate your return to your clinical work or educational placement here at Unity Health Toronto.
For more information and resources pertaining to Unity Health Toronto and COVID-19, please visit our microsite at:
SJHC I.D. BADGE
PHC I.D. BADGE
SMH I.D. BADGE
Upon receiving confirmation from the Student Centre, please proceed to 4-007 SHUTER (I.T. Solutions Centre) to acquire your I.D. badge. The I.D. badge station is open 24/7.
Issues with your I.D. Badge?
Please contact the Student Centre (x.5700) with the following information:
- Please ensure you are fully registered for your placement at the Student Centre
- Which areas can you not access?
- Does the lock turn red, green, or blue?
- Does your badge work on any of the doors (e.g. the bridge)?
- Do you have multiple Access Cards in the same pouch/lanyard?
- What is the five digit number in the back of the blank Access Card?
SMH SYSTEM ACCESS
You must first finalize your registration with the Student Centre in order to access our systems. If you are a returning student, please ensure that you have an updated badge for the current academic year.
Your User ID for all UHT systems is generally your Last Name and First Initial e.g. smithj. (If this does not work as your username, please add your second or third initial e.g. smithjo or smithjoa.) Password for Soarian, Network access, Magic Web, & Event Tracking is Smhtemp + your barcode number (2-5 digits) printed on the right top corner at the back of your ID badge e.g. Smhtemp12345 or Smhtemp123.
Please contact our I.T. Helpdesk at (416)864-5751 for assistance in password resets or troubleshooting login issues.
SJHC SYSTEM ACCESS
PHC SYSTEM ACCESS
Search for SMH_PRIME, enter your hospital credentials (username and password), select join, and accept the certificate warning.
Alternatively, you can manually enter SMH_Guest (case sensitive) to connect. No password required.
You can acquire an SMH Pager from the Student Centre (LKS575) with a deposit of $50.00, payable only by Debit, VISA, or MasterCard, and reimbursable at the end of your placement.
Please call Locating (x.5431) and inform them of your pager number. Batteries can be obtained from I.T. (4-007 Shuter) or the Student Centre.
We strongly advise that you do NOT use outside pagers as you could potentially miss pages from the SMH frequency. Please contact the Student Centre should you have any questions or inquiries.
Returning your SMH pager:
You can return your pager to the Student Centre (HOURS: 8AM-4PM, M-Th; 8AM-3:30PM, Fri) for your reimbursement.
For afterhours returns, please proceed to Locating (4-007 Shuter – HOURS: 24/7).
NOTE: Failure to return your pager by the due date will void your reimbursement.
Please proceed to the Linen/Stores Department (B2 Cardinal Carter Wing SOUTH elevators | HOURS: 7:30AM-4:00PM, M-F) to pay a deposit, obtain your first set, and have your I.D. badge programmed for exchange. Payments can be made by VISA, Debit, MasterCard, or American Express:
- Labcoats ($15 each – 1 Labcoat maximum)
- Scrub Suits ($30 each – 2 Scrub Suit maximum)
Scrub Vending Machines locations:
- 1-Shuter outside the Emergency Administration Office
- 6-011 Cardinal Carter Wing South Perioperative Services locker room
The standard OR gowns are not leak-proof & you can request waterproof gowns (with a plastic liner) from the OR, for your protection. This is very important if you will be working in a case where there is likely to be blood loss or other soilage.
Located on the 3rd floor of the Li Ka Shing building. Hours of operation are 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday to Friday. Access to the computer lab in the Health Sciences Library is 24/7. Copy codes for printing and copying are available through the Library.
For more information about the Health Science Library and its services please see the following video
Student Resource Centre
Located on the 6th floor of the Shuter Wing. (accessible via the Shuter North elevators) The resource centre is equipped with a microwave, fridge, computers and television and is open 24/7.
Both the Student Centre (Li Ka Shing room 573) and the Student Resource Centre (6th floor Shuter Wing) are designated Breastfeeding Spaces within St. Michael’s Hospital. The Student Resource Centre also has a locked fridge for breastmilk storage; to receive access to this fridge please contact a Student Centre staff member.
Bike cage is located at the Queen St, entrance. All students are given access automatically with their SMH I.D. Badge
- Cafeteria (Marketeria ) is located on the 6th floor of the Cardinal Carter Wing (Monday-Friday 6:30am – 9:30pm); Tim Horton’s Coffee is located within the Marketeria
- Vending machines outside of the Marketeria; available 24 hours
- Second Cup Coffee Shop located at the B1 Queen St. Entrance, open 24 hours
- Starbucks and Subway are available in the lobby of the Li Ka Shing building Monday- Friday from 7:30am – 6:00pm
The Hospital provides students with a Security escort from the 30 Bond location to/from their vehicle or the nearest transit stop 24 hours per day.
1. It is recommended that you call the Security Office at minimum 15 minutes before your departure at extension #5323 or 416-864-5323.
2. Advise the Security Communications Specialist that you would like to request the Safe Walk service to your vehicle.
3. Provide the Security Communications Specialist with the location of your vehicle, your name and your department.
4. Proceed to the designated meeting area as instructed by the Security Communications Specialist.
For Security Officer safety and to ensure proper emergency communication the service will be limited to the following destinations: East to Church Street / South To Richmond Street /West to Yonge Street / North to Shuter Street Note: If emergency situations develop or if the patrol Security Officer is already completing a Safe Walk service, delays may be experienced.
Frequently Called Numbers
Corporate Health & Safety Services (e.g. Mask Fit)x5013